ALLIANCE FOR HEALTH POLICY
Position Summary: The Alliance seeks an experienced event planner to serve as its internal Events Manager. This position will be the primary driver of the annual awards dinner with a goal of $700,000+ and 200+ attendees. Responsibilities also include more than 20 already scheduled events and an annual weekend-long retreat geared towards educating members of Congress and key policy stakeholders.
This position requires superior organizational skills and the ability to proactively manage multiple priorities while having meticulous attention to detail. Frontline fundraising experience and managing corporate sponsors is a plus.
Deadline for applications is Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 11:59 pm ET.
Candidates should be available to begin on or about June 1, 2018.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of External Affairs, the Events Manager will:
- Lead the coordination and execution of all special events or conference related logistics, including all advance planning and communications to ensure that all details are confirmed for flawless onsite execution and post-event follow through
- Create and manage event timelines, track attendance and sponsorship fulfillment (when applicable) and additional deliverables as needed
- Manage event budgets
- Create weekly event progress and status reports
- Draft correspondence to stakeholders, participants, board members and/or awardees
- Conduct prospect research for attendees, honorees, and other event leadership
- Solve unique and complex logistical problems
- Consistently strive to improve processes
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Ability to see the “big picture” and meet objectives in all stages of event planning and execution
- Proactive approach to handling issues and troubleshooting any emerging problems onsite
- Ability to manage complex and fast-changing program elements and prioritize effectively in response
- Effective negotiation skills and the ability to understand and negotiate vendor contracts, and working knowledge of how to review invoices and check requests
- Entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated ownership of work
- Ability to maintain diplomacy, while working effectively with vendors, attendees, sponsors, etc
- Ability to recognize funding and recognition opportunities
- Ability to manage stakeholders at all levels
- Superb interpersonal skills, ability to relate to funders, Members of Congress, congressional or executive branch staff, and Board members.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Meeting planning and protocol experience mandatory, preferably in DC with an established working relationship with a variety of vendors and/or contacts
- 3-4 years of experience working on events, preferably in a nonprofit and/or fundraising environment
- Must be proactive, entrepreneurial
- Detail oriented and strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Strong team player
- Interest in health policy and/or health reform is desirable
- This is a full-time position. Benefits include paid vacation time, health, life, and disability insurance and a retirement plan with match.
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Alliance for Health Policy is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers understand the foundations of health policy, the roots of the nation’s health care issues and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. For 25 years, the Alliance has not only been informing key health policy decision-makers, but also bringing together the larger health policy community to advance dialogue on challenging health policy issues. The Alliance has conducted hundreds of briefings on Capitol Hill on timely and important health policy topics. Our events are among the most widely respected and well-attended inside the Beltway, regularly drawing audiences of 200 or more congressional and agency staff, media, and health policy stakeholders. We do not advocate, lobby, or take positions on policy issues, ensuring our unique reputation as an unbiased, nonpartisan honest broker when it comes to clarifying health policy issues. Whether they are new to health policy or seasoned experts, our audience looks to the Alliance as the trusted source of health policy information.
To apply, send cover letter outlining interest and experience in event planning and management, resume, and salary range to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 6, 2018.
Candidates should be prepared to start position by June 1 or sooner. No phone inquiries please.