Send cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and salary requirements to jobs[at]allhealthpolicy.org no later than August 18, 2019. Please put “2019 Health Policy Communications Associate” in the subject line.
*No phone inquiries please. Incomplete and incorrectly submitted applications will not be reviewed.*
The Alliance for Health Policy (“Alliance”) seeks a creative, self-motivated individual to join our team as a policy communications associate. The role of the health policy communications associate is to bridge the work of our policy and external affairs team in creating timely and accurate communications deliverables for our audience. The policy communications associate will be responsible for managing and developing event overviews and descriptions, email marketing campaigns, and assisting in the strategic development of the Alliance’s external facing image. A strong candidate will be able to think about overarching goals of the organization, have a keen understanding of key communications principles, and a grasp on broad health policy themes.
The health policy communications associate will help promote and expand the Alliance for Health Policy’s reach and impact in the community. Working with the Alliance’s small and vibrant staff, and reporting to the director of external affairs, the policy communications associate’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the director of external affairs in developing and executing a comprehensive communications and outreach strategy for the Alliance for Health Policy on an annual and quarterly basis;
- Support and showcase the work of the Alliance through the creation of press releases, news updates, digital media content, email content and speeches;
- Be responsible for the following external stakeholders and audience outreach;
- Maintain and manage lists of Alliance’s key audience contacts including media, health policy stakeholders, academics, congressional staff, and others;
- Create, manage and execute all electronic mailings for event announcements and organization updates;
- Manage and maintain the Alliance’s website and respective programming websites, which includes creating new pages, posting new content, and proactively providing general ideas for improvement;
- Regularly and proactively engage with online audiences, assist with media monitoring efforts, and compile web analytics and metrics;
- Conduct outreach to and manage press inquiries from Washington and national media outlets, as needed;
- Assist with grant writing and program development for proposals and new business;
- Draft correspondence, copy edit and proofread materials as requested; and
- Provide general support for the Alliance team, as needed.
Skills and Expertise
This individual is a self-starter and highly motivated with meticulous attention to detail and a policy savvy communication style that will allow this individual to be the bridge between policy and the public. The ideal candidate can handle multiple tasks, manage workflows, and have great follow-through on assignments and deadlines. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject from a four-year accredited university;
- Experience with policy writing and communications of at least 2 years, preferably in the health field
- Ability to create, edit, and deliver mass e-mailings via Constant Contact, MailChimp, or another platform;
- Ability to create, edit, and publish posts and pages as well as other updates to the Alliance website via WordPress;
- Familiarity and experience with managing Twitter communications;
- Ability to work autonomously, as part of a small team, and with a range of external stakeholders;
- Professionalism, efficiency, and demonstrated commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work that is nonpartisan and impartial;
- Self-started with the ability to learn quickly and move in a fast-paced work environment and;
- Excellent grasp of English grammar/language and superior written and presentation skills.
- Background in health policy is highly desired;
- Experience at a federal or state legislative office or executive branch agency a plus;
- Website editing and content creation experience in WordPress, SquareSpace, oro,thers a desired skill;
This is a full-time position in Washington, D.C. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Health Policy offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Platinum level medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance with 80% employer-paid premium subsidy
- Retirement plan contribution match up to 10% of salary
- Company provided life and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
- Paid parental leave
About the Alliance
For over 25 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information. We conduct ~40 live events and convenings per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
Our mission: To inform solutions for improving health care in the United States by bringing together policymakers and health leaders in nonpartisan forums. We advance learning and dialogue about fundamental and emerging health care issues and the tradeoffs posed by proposals for change.
Our vision: A better health care system achieved through balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.