The Alliance for Health Policy seeks a Director of Policy and Programs to lead the planning and implementation of our respected health policy programming. This is a unique, high-growth opportunity to make a significant contribution to the future of a well-respected and high-energy organization. Building on its successful 25 year history, the Alliance for Health Policy is undergoing a strategic planning process to prepare for the future. The successful Director of Policy and Programs will contribute to the growth and transformation of the Alliance and help ensure that the Alliance remains a highly relevant and sought-after source of information related to health policy. This person will work effectively as a core member of our team to ensure the production of high-quality, timely, informative briefings and materials. He or she will be a respected individual who will be, and be perceived as being, able to deliver unbiased, nonpartisan content in Alliance programs, communications and publications.
SUMMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Policy and Programs is an integral part of the Alliance team. Our ability to accomplish our mission to foster health policy knowledge, understanding, and dialogue among policymakers and health leaders depends upon the consistent production of high-quality, unbiased, nonpartisan programming for our core audience of federal policymakers, including members of Congress, congressional and executive branch staff, media, and health policy stakeholders.
Working with the Alliance’s small and vibrant team and reporting to the President and CEO, the Director of Policy and Programs will:
- Provide strategic and tactical direction and oversee the successful planning and execution of the Alliance’s overall programming portfolio, in alignment with the Alliance’s mission and strategic plan;
- Serve as the key point of contact for Alliance funders, audience, and stakeholders as it relates to policy and programming content;
- Oversee the timing and policy content for all Alliance programming, including identifying new programming opportunities and directing background research into current issues and new areas of inquiry;
- Ensure the successful production of high-quality, relevant, and unbiased health policy programming, including congressional staff and member retreats, congressional briefings, media briefings, thought leader discussions, webinars, and more;
- Manage and mentor a team of two to three junior to mid-level staff, including health policy associate, research associate, and intern(s);
- Contribute strategic input into, and oversee the consistent collection and incorporation of, performance metrics for continuous improvement;
- Work closely with the CEO and other team members to identify strategic opportunities to enhance the impact of Alliance programming, including potential growth into new areas in alignment with our strategic priorities and operational capacity; new methods of audience engagement and development; enhanced stakeholder relations; and new funders; and,
- Provide updates and summaries of Alliance programming for honorary congressional co-chairs, Board members, and other stakeholders as needed.
The Director of Policy and Programs must, first and foremost, be committed to the Alliance’s nonpartisan, unbiased approach to programming and to upholding the Alliance’s reputation as a trusted resource for nonpartisan, unbiased health policy content in Washington, D.C. and beyond. To that end, the Director of Policy and Programs must possess not only a broad knowledge of a wide range of health policy issues, but also a high degree of discernment and understanding of the use of evidence within the health policy process, as well as how various policy and political points of view apply to specific health policy issues.
Along with these foundational qualities, the Director of Policy and Programs must also possess:
- A minimum of 5-8 years of experience in health policy, with a focus on Capitol Hill, the executive branch, and/or government relations;
- Strong and verifiable project management experience;
- An understanding of how core Alliance audiences operate and learn, including Congress, the media, foundations, corporate, nonprofit, and academic entities, and other health policy stakeholders;
- Positive relationships with multiple health policy stakeholders across the political and policy spectrum, both within and outside of government;
- Ability to mentor and manage a team of health policy professionals;
- Ability to work effectively and collegially as a member of a small team and with a range of external stakeholders; and,
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills.
Other positive attributes include:
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and emotional intelligence; the ability to maintain equanimity and a problem-solving attitude in the face of inevitable challenges; a sense of humor;
- Current professional reputation as unbiased and nonpartisan;
- Experience with coalition-building, facilitating meetings and/or moderating panels;
- Experience translating complex policy content into live events, written, and/or online curricula/educational materials; and,
- An ability to think strategically and analytically, to see the big picture but also pay attention to detail, and to connect the dots.
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Alliance for Health Policy, formerly the Alliance for Health Reform, is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers understand the foundations of health policy, the roots of the nation’s health care issues and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. For 25 years, the Alliance has not only been informing key health policy decision-makers, but also bringing together the larger health policy community to advance bipartisan dialogue on challenging health policy issues. The Alliance has conducted hundreds of briefings on Capitol Hill on timely and important health policy topic. Our events are among the most widely respected and well-attended inside the Beltway, regularly drawing audiences of 200 or more congressional and agency staff, media, and health policy stakeholders. We do not advocate, lobby, or take positions on policy issues, ensuring our unique reputation as an unbiased, nonpartisan honest broker when it comes to clarifying health policy issues. Whether they are new to health policy or seasoned experts, our audience looks to the Alliance as the trusted source of health policy information.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and salary range to email@example.com no later than June 23, 2017. No phone inquiries please.