Summary of Responsibilities
The Alliance for Health Policy seeks a Senior Health Policy Analyst to contribute to the growth and transformation of the Alliance and help ensure that the Alliance remains a highly relevant and sought-after source of information related to health policy. Our ability to accomplish our mission to foster health policy knowledge, understanding, and dialogue depends upon the consistent production of high-quality, unbiased, nonpartisan programming for our core audience of federal policymakers and health care leaders, including members of Congress, congressional and executive branch staff, media, and health policy stakeholders. The Senior Health Policy Analyst will work effectively as an integral member of our policy team to ensure the production of high-quality, timely, informative briefings and materials. He or she will be able to deliver unbiased, nonpartisan content in Alliance programs, communications and publications.
Reporting to the Director of Policy and Programs, the Senior Policy Analyst will:
- Conduct background research to inform selection of Alliance event topics and speakers;
- Write policy memos that synthesize multiple perspectives on timely health policy issues;
- Work directly with speakers to prepare them for Alliance events;
- Prepare event materials, including identifying relevant policy publications and research, expert lists, and reviewing speaker presentations;
- Prepare background and event preparation materials for the President and CEO;
- Draft funder proposals and reports;
- Maintain relationships with key policy experts and policy maker staff; and
- Assist the Director of Policy and Programs with long-term programmatic planning.
The Senior Policy Analyst should have a broad knowledge of a wide range of health policy issues, an understanding of the use of evidence within the health policy process, and a sense for how various policy and political points of view apply to specific health policy issues. He or she must be a skilled time manager able to juggle preparations for multiple Alliance events simultaneously. He or she will regularly liaise with high-level policy professionals, government officials, and their staff. Excellent judgement and strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
The Senior Policy Analyst should possess:
- A Master’s or other graduate-level degree with a focus on health policy;
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in health policy, with experience on Capitol Hill, in the executive branch, and/or government relations strongly desired;
- An understanding of how core Alliance audiences operate and learn, including Congress, the media, and other health policy stakeholders;
- Proven ability to effectively advance multiple projects simultaneously, including setting and meeting deadlines;
- Superior writing and presentation skills;
- Ability to be creative and nimble in the face of competing demands and a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work effectively and collegially as a member of a small team and with a range of external stakeholders; and
Professionalism, efficiency, and demonstrated commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work.
About the Alliance
The Alliance for Health Policy is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers understand the foundations of health policy, the roots of the nation’s health care issues and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. For 25 years, the Alliance has not only been informing key health policy decision-makers, but also bringing together the larger health policy community to advance dialogue on challenging health policy issues. The Alliance has conducted hundreds of briefings on Capitol Hill on timely and important health policy topics. Our events are among the most widely respected and well-attended inside the Beltway, regularly drawing audiences of 200 or more congressional and agency staff, media, and health policy stakeholders. We do not advocate, lobby, or take positions on policy issues, ensuring our unique reputation as an unbiased, nonpartisan honest broker when it comes to clarifying health policy issues. Whether they are new to health policy or seasoned experts, our audience looks to the Alliance as the trusted source of health policy information.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and salary range to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, November 6, 2017. No phone inquiries please.