Director of Finance and Operations Overview
The Alliance for Health Policy seeks a Director of Finance and Operations to play an essential tactical and strategic role in managing our nonpartisan organization. Reporting to the president and CEO, the director of finance and operations (Director) will be responsible for (1) leading the Alliance for Health Policy’s financial strategy and execution, (2) overseeing and contributing to the breadth of core operational functions, and (3) participating in the development of the organization’s overall strategic goals. This position is an outstanding opportunity for a nonprofit leader with finance and operational experience, and a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management, to join in a collaborative, high-growth, mission-driven organization.
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- As an integral member of the senior management team, contribute to the development of the Alliance for Health Policy’s strategic goals and objectives and ensure seamless day-to-day management of the organization.
- Provide leadership and analysis to support a successful overall financial strategy for the Alliance. Work with president, Board, and staff to ensure continued financial sustainability over the short and long-term in alignment with Alliance mission.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the president and Board informed of all critical issues.
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary, and manage relationships with vendors, contractors, and partner organizations.
- Ensure that the Alliance is adhering to the strategic plan, supporting the delivery of status reports to the board, and serving as a leading voice in future strategic planning efforts.
- Working with president and CEO, play an integral role in overall Board engagement.
Budget and Finance
- Advise the president and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and organizational policy matters.
- Serve as the management liaison to the Board of Directors and its finance committee; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at board and committee meetings.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process, working with president, senior management, and Board.
- Present clear, timely, and accurate monthly financial reports to the president and finance committee, including statement of activities, balance sheet/statement of financial position, and dashboards.
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance and operations team.
- Oversee implementation and continuous improvement of core administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, 403b plan, grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
- Support annual audit and preparation of form 990.
- Serve as primary organizational contact for all grant and contract finances and manage relationships with counterparts in funder organizations.
- Support all grant applications and financial reporting of grants, working with president, policy/program and external affairs teams to build budgets for grant applications and ensure timely and accurate reporting to funders.
- Ensure effective management and compliance with respect to the use of grant dollars.
- Manage human resources including payroll, benefits, insurances, HR policies, hiring, evaluation, and compensation processes.
- Ensure a proactive and collaborative approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion within the organization and across all initiatives.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Support timely and appropriate training and development for all team members.
- Proactively implement best practices in internal policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Manage procurement processes within budget and in accordance with Alliance needs.
- Oversee technology/IT management and ensure appropriate use of technology solutions.
- Ensure implementation of effective organization-wide information management solutions.
- Manage space and negotiate lease.
- Ensure success of selected special and as-needed projects.
The Director of Finance and Operations will have the following experience and attributes:
- Demonstrated Track Record of Success in Nonprofit Finance and Operations:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, or Finance and a Masters’ degree in business administration or related field preferred.
- Five to eight years of demonstrated experience in nonprofit financial management and accounting, as well as legal, audit, compliance, budget, and resource development.
- Proven effectiveness leading professionals in finance and accounting.
- Technologically savvy, with demonstrated ability to develop and implement new processes and systems that increased efficiency in a fast-moving environment.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience effectively interfacing with colleagues, board of directors, and external organizations.
- Knowledge Base:
- Clear understanding of the mission and strategies of the Alliance, and relationship to financial and operational goals.
- Knowledge of legal, regulatory, and ethics requirements related to interactions with government officials is a must.
- Experience with the operational aspects of event management are a plus.
- Experience with communications software, Customer Relationship Management and/or project management solutions (i.e., Airtable, Salesforce, Blackbaud, Constant Contact) are a plus.
- Leadership and Management:
- Proven track record of success facilitating positive organizational change and development within a growing organization.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team.
- Personal Qualities:
- Integrity, credibility, and excellent judgment.
- Self-reliant and results-oriented.
- Strong negotiating and problem-solving skills.
Salary and Benefits
The Alliance for Health Policy offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including paid vacation time, health, life, and disability insurance and a 403(b) retirement plan with match. The Alliance further offers a collegial, positive and high-energy work environment. We value authenticity, integrity, and excellence throughout all aspects of our work.
How to Apply
Interested applicants, please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
About the Alliance for Health Policy
For over 25 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information. We conduct 40-50 live events and convenings per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
Our mission: To inform solutions for improving health care in the United States by bringing together policymakers and health leaders in nonpartisan forums. We advance learning and dialogue about fundamental and emerging health care issues and the tradeoffs posed by proposals for change.
Our vision: A better health care system achieved through balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.