The health policy analyst will be an integral member of the policy team in the production of high-quality and unbiased programming for members of Congress, congressional and executive branch staff, media, and health policy experts. The analyst will develop Alliance events, research a variety of current health policy issues, and cultivate and maintain relationships with key policy stakeholders. The position offers an excellent opportunity to join in a collaborative, high-growth, mission-driven organization and to help inform critical conversations that will shape the future of our health care system.
Working with the Alliance’s small and vibrant staff, and reporting to the director of policy and programs, the health policy analyst’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Track a variety of health policy topics under discussion, especially at the federal level, and brief other Alliance staff members;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with a range of health policy stakeholders;
- Research and propose content for Alliance briefings;
- Work directly with speakers to prepare them for Alliance events;
- Assemble and review event materials including resources and experts lists; and
- Draft funder reports.
Skills and Expertise
The health policy analyst should have a broad knowledge of a wide range of health policy issues, an understanding of the use of evidence within the health policy process, and a sense for how various policy and political points of view apply to specific health policy issues. This person must have a meticulous eye for detail and strong organizational and time management skills to juggle preparations for multiple Alliance events simultaneously. The analyst will regularly liaise with high-level policy professionals, government officials, and their staff so excellent judgment, poise, and strong written and verbal communication skills are essential. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject from an accredited university;
- Basic foundations of health policy and public health issues, including public and private coverage and payment and delivery system reform;
- Knowledge of the federal legislative and/or regulatory process;
- Ability to work autonomously, as part of a small team, and with a range of external stakeholders;
- Capacity to maintain a system for tracking, monitoring, and prioritizing multiple issues, deadlines, and projects;
- Professionalism, efficiency, and demonstrated commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work that is nonpartisan and impartial; and
- Excellent grasp of English grammar/language and superior written and presentation skills.
- A master’s degree or at least two years of experience performing health policy research; and/or
- Experience at federal or state legislative office or executive branch agency.
Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 7, 2019. Please put “Health Policy Analyst” in the subject line. *No phone inquiries.*
This is a full-time position in Washington, D.C. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Health Policy offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Platinum level medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance with 80% employer-paid premium subsidy
- Retirement plan contribution match up to 10% of salary
- Company provided life and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
- Paid parental leave
About the Alliance
For over 25 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information. We conduct ~40 live events and convenings per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
Our mission: To inform solutions for improving health care in the United States by bringing together policymakers and health leaders in nonpartisan forums. We advance learning and dialogue about fundamental and emerging health care issues and the tradeoffs posed by proposals for change.
Our vision: A better health care system achieved through balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.