The Alliance for Health Policy (“Alliance”) seeks a creative, self-motivated individual to join our team as a communications associate. This person will play a key role in promoting the mission of the Alliance by creating marketing collateral, helping to grow the Alliance audience, and aiding us in achieving our mission to provide high-quality, unbiased, nonpartisan programming for federal policymakers and health care leaders, including members of Congress, congressional and executive branch staff, media, and health policy stakeholders. The communications associate will be responsible for external products of the Alliance including e-mail marketing, website management, print and digital materials, social media, and other communications deliverables.
The communications associate will help promote and expand the Alliance for Health Policy’s reach and impact in the community. Working with the Alliance’s small and vibrant staff, and reporting to the director of external affairs, the communications associate’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the director of external affairs in developing and executing a comprehensive marketing and outreach strategy for the Alliance on an annual and quarterly basis;
- Be responsible for the following external stakeholders and audience outreach;
- Maintain and manage lists of Alliance’s key audience contacts including media, health policy stakeholders, academics, congressional staff, and others;
- Create, manage and execute all electronic mailings for event announcements and organization updates;
- Manage and maintain the Alliance’s website and respective programming websites, which includes creating new pages, posting new content, and proactively providing general ideas for improvement;
- Regularly and proactively engage with online audiences, assist with media monitoring efforts, and compile web analytics and metrics;
- Develop and design collateral, and other sources of marketing material, to assist in efforts to maximize event attendance, sponsorship solicitation, and general awareness about the Alliance;
- Showcase and document Alliance initiatives, programs, and staff using photography (event/portrait), speech writing, press releases, and other materials as needed;
- Coordinate with members of the Alliance team on organization wide projects, and create and execute communication schedules;
- Identify new opportunities for marketing, branding strategy, and audience engagement;
- Conduct outreach to and manage press inquiries from Washington and national media outlets, as needed;
- Be responsible for logistics in hosting six to eight webinars via the GoToWebinar platform;
- Serve as a liaison with communications and marketing vendors or consultants;
- Draft correspondence, copy edit and proofread materials as requested; and
- Provide general support for the Alliance team, as needed.
Skills and Expertise
The communications associate must have demonstrated in policy and campaign experience in Washington, D.C. of at least 2 years. This individual is a self-starter and self-motivated with meticulous attention to detail and a policy savvy communications style that will allow this individual to be the bridge between policy and the public. The ideal candidate can handle multiple tasks, manage workflows, and have great follow-through on assignments and deadlines. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject from a four-year accredited university;
- Experience with policy writing and communications of at least 2 years;
- Ability to create, edit, and deliver mass e-mailings via Constant Contact, MailChimp, or another platform;
- Ability to create, edit, and publish posts and pages as well as other updates to the Alliance website via WordPress;
- Experience managing and overseeing Twitter and Facebook platforms;
- Familiarity with graphic design, photography, and editing software;
- Ability to work autonomously, as part of a small team, and with a range of external stakeholders;
- Capacity to maintain a system for tracking, monitoring, and prioritizing multiple issues, deadlines, and projects;
- Professionalism, efficiency, and demonstrated commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work that is nonpartisan and impartial; and
- Excellent grasp of English grammar/language and superior written and presentation skills.
- Background in health policy is highly desired;
- Experience at federal or state legislative office or executive branch agency in press or communications a plus;
- Knowledge of the GoToWebinar or WebEx platforms for online meetings and webinars;
- Familiarity with Airtable or other project management software
- Website editing and content creation skills ( HTML/CSS a plus)
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite or other graphic design and photo editing software (i.e. Canva, Piktochart, etc.)
This is a full-time position in Washington, D.C. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Health Policy offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Platinum level medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance with 80% employer-paid premium subsidy
- Retirement plan contribution match up to 10% of salary
- Company provided life and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
- Paid parental leave
About the Alliance
For over 25 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information. We conduct ~40 live events and convenings per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
Our mission: To inform solutions for improving health care in the United States by bringing together policymakers and health leaders in nonpartisan forums. We advance learning and dialogue about fundamental and emerging health care issues and the tradeoffs posed by proposals for change.
Our vision: A better health care system achieved through balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.