The program assistant will be an integral part of the Alliance policy team in the production of high-quality and unbiased health policy programming for members of Congress, congressional and executive branch staff, media, and policy experts. The program assistant will provide project management support to ensure our event preparation processes run smoothly and will assist in researching a variety of current health policy topics. The position offers an excellent opportunity for entry-level candidates with a health policy background to join in a collaborative, high-growth, mission-driven organization and to help inform critical conversations that will shape the future of our health care system.
Working with the Alliance’s small and vibrant staff, and reporting to the director of policy and programs, the program assistant’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide project management and administrative support, including coordinating and tracking deadlines, creating, updating, and maintaining organized files and records, and other related tasks;
- Research, craft, and print event attendee materials including resources and experts lists;
- Assist in coordinating and preparing event speakers including responding to inquiries, scheduling prep calls, and reviewing and assembling presentations;
- Assist in grant and sponsor management tasks including drafting event and evaluation summaries;
- Support policy team in researching and tracking policy issues and gathering feedback on the scope of events; and
- Prepare background and event preparation materials for the President and CEO as needed.
Skills and Expertise
The program assistant must have a meticulous eye for detail and strong organizational and time management skills to manage preparations for multiple Alliance events simultaneously. This person will regularly liaise with high-level policy professionals, government officials, and their staff. Excellent judgment, poise, and strong written and verbal communication skills are essential. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject from an accredited university;
- Interest in health policy issues and the desire to learn and grow policy research and analysis skills;
- Ability to work autonomously, as part of a small team, and with a range of external stakeholders;
- Professionalism, efficiency, and demonstrated commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work;
- Capacity to maintain a system of tracking, monitoring, and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects;
- Excellent grasp of English grammar/language and superior written and presentation skills;
- Experience with health policy research and/or analysis;
- Experience at federal or state legislative office or executive branch agency;
- Knowledge of the legislative and/or regulatory process.
This is a full-time position in Washington, D.C. Base annual salary range $38,000 – $40,000. The Alliance for Health Policy offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Platinum-level medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance with 80% employer-paid premium subsidy
- Retirement plan contribution match up to 10% of salary
- Company provided life and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
- Paid parental leave
About the Alliance
For over 25 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information. We conduct ~40 live events and convenings per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
Our mission: To inform solutions for improving health care in the United States by bringing together policymakers and health leaders in nonpartisan forums. We advance learning and dialogue about fundamental and emerging health care issues and the tradeoffs posed by proposals for change.
Our vision: A better health care system achieved through balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.