The Alliance for Health Policy seeks a highly motivated and energetic individual for the position of events and outreach assistant who is looking to gain insight into the internal operations and business development of a not-for-profit organization. This position has a key role in fundraising and development as well as events coordination and planning for the organization. The events and outreach assistant will support the management of strategic relationships for the organization and provide administrative support for the President and CEO.
Working with the Alliance’s small and vibrant staff, and reporting to the assistant director of external affairs, the events and outreach assistant’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Stakeholder engagement support
- Provide ongoing updates to the customer-relationship management database for the organization
- Assist the director of external affairs in researching and identifying potential funders for the organization, grant reporting and proposals, coordinating and managing sponsors with benefit fulfillment and engagement
- Conduct outreach to Congress including members and key committees as well as executive and agency branch officials
- Event Support
- Manage logistics and timeline in organizing health policy briefings, press events, and retreats on Capitol Hill and other locations.
- Attend briefings; oversee set-up and execution while representing the Alliance.
- Manage event budget and liaise with vendors and contractors for events
- Assist the assistant director of external affairs with logistics for the annual conference for members of Congress, including accommodations, travel arrangements, meals, audio visual requirements and production of background materials for attendees.
- Provide support for special events such as receptions and the Alliance’s Annual Dinner
- Assist the health policy team in managing the printing of onsite materials, coordinating speaker accommodations and facilitating the collection of conference materials
- Administrative Support to the President and CEO
- Support the President and CEO with scheduling and administrative needs
- Arrange travel and meeting support
- Assist in coordinating with the Board of Directors and preparing Board materials
- Coordinate executive communications, including taking calls, responding to emails and interfacing with clients
- Maintain an organized filing system of paper and electronic documents
- Uphold a strict level of confidentiality
Skills and Expertise
The Events and Outreach Assistant must have a meticulous eye for detail and strong organizational and time management skills to juggle multiple projects and events simultaneously. They will regularly liaise with high-level professionals, government officials, and their staff. Excellent judgment, poise, and strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university;
- Relevant work experience and desire to learn and grow event planning, scheduling, and/or fundraising experience;
- Professionalism, efficiency, and demonstrated commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work;
- Capacity to handle confidential materials and maintain privacy;
- Ability to function both autonomously and in close collaboration with others;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other similar data programs.
- Experience in Washington, D.C. in public affairs or relations or a Congressional office;
- Experience with Airtable software a plus or other CRM (LittleGreenLight, Salesforce, Bloomerang, etc.);
- Previous experience with development or fundraising in an office setting;
- Experience working with VIP’s, government officials, and/or executives
Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Commitments
- This is a full-time, entry-level Benefits include paid vacation time, health, life, and disability insurance and a retirement plan with match.
- Some evening and weekend hours and travel required.
About the Alliance
The Alliance for Health Policy is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information.