If you have a funded fellowship or scholarship and are looking for a host organization, the Alliance welcomes attentive and proactive students interested in health policy to join our team as a fellow. The position is an unpaid volunteer role. In order to provide a level playing field for all potential applicants regardless of financial means, applicants must have a funded fellowship or scholarship to apply. Applications who do not already have fellowship or scholarship funding details will not be considered.
As a fellowship host site, we offer undergraduate and graduate students with a health policy background the opportunity to work with a collaborative, mission-driven organization and to help inform critical conversations that will shape the future of our health care system. The position is based in Washington, D.C.. Applicants should ideally be able to work 30 hours a week minimum. Full-time applicants will receive priority consideration.
Working with the Alliance’s small and vibrant staff, and reporting to the director of policy and programs, responsibilities include:
- Assist health policy analysts with preparing multiple events;
- Support policy team in landscape analyses, researching and tracking health policy, legislation, and regulatory issues;
- Attend and monitor health policy forums and hearings on Capitol Hill and in the D.C. area;
- Support the drafting of event attendee materials including resources and experts lists;
- Support the preparation of background and event preparation materials;
- Maintain and analyze program data and information;
- Provide administrative support, creating, updating, and maintaining organized files and records; and other related tasks.
- Must have a funded fellowship or scholarship and be seeking a host organization;
- Must be pursuing or have recently completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant subject from an accredited university;
- Knowledge of the U.S. health care system and health policy landscape as well as basic foundation of the federal legislative and/or regulatory process;
- Strong writing skills and demonstrated commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work;
- Responsive, customer service-oriented approach to completing responsibilities and supporting the policy team and organization achieve its mission;
We are no longer accepting applications for the Summer 2022 period. The Fall application period will open in early July. Priority deadlines vary by semester:
Fall: July 31, 2022
Spring: November 27, 2022
Applications received after the priority deadlines will be evaluated as the position remains available.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and volunteers. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
About the Alliance
For 30 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the tradeoffs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information. We conduct approximately 40 live events and convenings per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
The Alliance’s core offering is our in-person and impartial educational events and convenings (we hosted 45 last year). The Alliance does not lobby or advocate for particular positions or legislative/regulatory approaches through these briefings. Instead, these events allow attendees to better understand a wide range of foundational and niche health policy issues, as well as the various viewpoints of the health policy community that surround those issues. For each event, we assemble a balanced panel of speakers who present their insights on a given topic, facilitate a discussion that is relevant to the attendees’ day-to-day work, and provide curated lists of resources and experts for further research.
To improve health and health care by fostering a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.
To inform solutions for improving health and health care in the United States by advancing health policy knowledge and facilitating solutions-focused dialogue among diverse stakeholders and leaders.