For 30 years, the Alliance for Health Policy (“Alliance”) has served as a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information.
The Alliance seeks a motivated, action-oriented Vice President, Marketing & Development leader to work with the CEO to engage staff and drive progress on marketing and development initiatives. This role will have strategic and operational oversight of the Alliance’s marketing and development functions. As a senior executive on the Alliance’s leadership team, this leader plays a critical role in driving the vision, owning the marketing plan to activate sponsors, and enabling us to develop meaningful multi-stakeholder (i.e., payers, providers, life sciences companies, health tech, broader health care and health policy community, etc.) relationships. The ideal candidate will work closely with cross-functional colleagues in program management and policy/content development functions to shape marketing strategies that directly drive significant YOY growth, as a storyteller that can leverage our Alliance 3.0 vision and revamped programming to actively engage audience members, sponsors, and partners. This person will help us achieve growth by expanding our approach to engagement and marketing, with an initial emphasis on our successful Signature Series-focused sponsorship platform, including our annual dinner. You will also oversee overall engagement and community-building strategy for the Alliance’s multiple stakeholder groups – including leveraging the Alliance’s rich programmatic and educational content resources, thought leadership, and social strategies, as well as earned, owned, paid, and shared media strategy and execution.
What You Will Do
This is a new position with ample opportunity for leadership. Working with the Alliance’s vibrant staff, and reporting to the CEO, your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Marketing and Engagement
- Lead a goal-setting and strategy process for paid, earned, shared and owned media. Oversee plan for execution against goals in all four areas:
- Develop the marketing strategy and utilizing planning frameworks to oversee the marketing and development organization;
- Build demand programs (email and social) in HubSpot marketing automation tool to generate significant growth in awareness of the Alliance and ultimately contribute to the growth of our sponsor pipeline as well as sponsor engagement campaigns to drive incremental development;
- Lead and act as a key steward of the Alliance brand, helping us continue to evolve our brand strategy and amplify our unique insights across a diverse audience;
- Steward sponsor insights, working with strategy team to drive ongoing research efforts to understand sponsorship patterns, behaviors, personas, and needs;
- Define and execute a channel-specific content strategy that is aligned to the way key audiences engage including owning the content toolbox (i.e., case studies, presentations, talks, panels, one-sheets, white papers, etc.);
- Own organizational communication strategy including public/media relations, thought leadership, executive visibility, content strategy and development campaigns working closely with cross-functional colleagues and consultant partners;
- Build out consistent media engagement and driving greater earned media presence and message pull-through Implementing measurements and metrics to gauge effectiveness and use as a basis for continuous execution improvement;
- Oversee competitive landscape analyses working closely with CEO, Development, Policy;
- Oversee co-developed community management/engagement strategy for key additional Alliance stakeholders, driving affinity and engagement among Alliance partners, including: Congressional and Administration staff, donors, sponsors, Board members, speakers, and other Alliance audiences;
- Steward partnership with communications and marketing agency to deliver on marketing and communications goals; and
- Report progress against goals to CEO, board, Alliance team.
- Own strategic alliances and growth of existing sponsor relationships, also establishing new relationships with target sponsorship accounts;
- Actively prospect and leverage potential growth opportunities within specified sponsor accounts;
- Cultivate strong, long-term relationship with key decision makers within assigned accounts and develop in-depth knowledge of the sponsor organization;
- Drive awareness of competitive activities, positioning, which includes reasons for wins and losses;
- Maintain high visibility within sponsor organizations. Monitor sponsor satisfaction by communicating regularly with sponsors;
- Manage and monitoring sponsor activities in HubSpot; and
- Work with partners and funders to engage partners, share toolkits with key audiences to broaden uptake of content of programmatic and educational work.
- Partner effectively with other Alliance leaders to develop consensus on shared goals, priorities, and KPIs;
- Adapt to needs of small and rapidly growing organization, modeling effectiveness, collegiality and flexibility
- Build and growing an incredible marketing and development team while collaboratively leading and cultivating existing team and cultivating direct reports in place;
- Help foster and drive an inclusive, energetic, passionate, and collaborative culture aligned with the Alliance’s core values; and
- Translate and regular report on progress against goals to Board and other key stakeholders.
What You Will Bring
You must have leadership experience and the ability to develop and lead organization-wide initiatives, communicate with diverse audiences, and translate the vision into sustainable action. You have designed and spearheaded a comprehensive and strategic approach to marketing and development initiatives, managing and guiding your team collaboratively, including vertically and across organizational functions, ensuring that all staff have consistent and transparent access to information about the organization, are engaged and contributing to the organization’s culture, and have the tools to be successful in their roles.
Specifically, the Vice President should have demonstrated skills or expertise in the following areas:
- Minimum of 8+ years of proven successful marketing and development leadership experience, with exposure to health care or health policy, with documented expertise in areas of marketing that include strategy development, sponsor targeting, branding, research, CRM management, campaign measurement and optimization, digital and social media, analytics, public relations, promotions, and advertising;
- Experience with strategic planning, marketing plan development, and engagement/revenue targets ownership, held responsible for driving and hitting KPIs;
- Self-motivated and emotionally intelligent with the ability to adapt in an evolving environment;
- Professionalism and commitment to consistently high-quality work;
- Excellent judgment, poise, and strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Exemplary interpersonal skills and ability to build positive relationship with colleagues, agencies, and freelancers;
- Commitment to the nonpartisan status and mission of the Alliance and to upholding the Alliance’s values in policy and content development, and to aligning Alliance content to audience needs;
- Commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment; and,
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
This position is new to the Alliance’s organization structure. This is a full-time position in Washington, D.C., with hybrid virtual and in-person work arrangements, with a minimum of 2-3 days of in-office work expected, consistent with public health conditions. Priority deadline for applying is June 12, 2022.
Competitive salary plus performance-based incentive potential, depending on experience and qualifications. The Alliance offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Platinum-level medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance with 80% employer-paid premium subsidy for employees and 50% for family members;
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave;
- $2 for $1 retirement contribution match, up to 10% of salary, with immediate vesting;
- Company provided life and long-term disability insurance;
- Generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave;
- Up to $3,000 relocation assistance available to candidates moving from outside the Washington, D.C. metro area;
- Up to $1,000 per year for qualifying education-related expenses, including student loan repayments; and
- $100 per month transit benefit.
Alliance for Health Policy is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply, including persons with disabilities and individuals from historically marginalized identities. The Alliance values diversity and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law. The Alliance’s hiring and employment decisions are based solely on a person’s merit and qualifications.
About the Alliance
Our core offerings are our in-person/virtual and impartial educational events and convenings. These events allow attendees to better understand a wide range of foundational and niche health policy issues, as well as the various viewpoints of the health policy community that surround those issues. We do not lobby or advocate for positions or legislative/regulatory approaches through these briefings. For each briefing, we assemble a balanced panel of expert speakers who present background information, evidence, and insights on a given topic, facilitate a discussion that is relevant to the attendees’ day-to-day work, and provide curated lists of resources and experts for further research. We conduct approximately 50 events and convenings (currently all virtually) per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
To inform solutions for improving health and health care in the United States by advancing health policy knowledge and facilitating solutions-focused dialogue among diverse stakeholders and leaders.
To improve health and health care by fostering a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.
- Collaborative learning, grounded in evidence and informed by experience. We promote a shared understanding of the facts and real-life experiences that affect health and health care in America.
- Constructive and proactive problem solving: We come to every conversation ready to bring out the best ideas for solving problems.
- Inclusive, equitable and respectful dialogue: We include diverse perspectives in consequential conversations and are committed to creating an environment where people can hear each other across differences.
- Discernment and integrity: We are committed to navigating complex issues with good judgment and in good faith.
- Responsiveness and accountability: We serve as a reliable and approachable source of excellent information for the health policy community.
Please apply directly via our application form. Apply Now »