Working with the Alliance’s small and vibrant staff, and reporting to the director of policy and programs, the senior health policy analyst’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the preparation of three to five events and coordinating with other Alliance departments to ensure smooth and efficient event processes;
- Researching, tracking, and synthesizing policy issues and keeping Alliance staff informed about health policy developments relevant to our mission;
- Writing policy memos that synthesize multiple perspectives on timely health policy issues and inform the selection of Alliance event topics, learning goals, and speakers;
- Working directly with speakers to prepare them for Alliance events;
- Assembling and reviewing event materials including resources and experts lists;
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with a range of health policy experts;
- Managing funder/sponsors relationships and crafting funder proposals and grant reports.
Skills and Expertise
The senior health policy analyst should have a broad and robust understanding of the U.S. health care system and will be expected to consistently and quickly gain in-depth knowledge about new and evolving policy topics. Given the strong nonpartisan brand of the Alliance, this person must be able to approach their work in an impartial and comprehensive way. The senior health policy analyst must be a proactive problem solver, have a meticulous eye for detail, and strong organizational and time management skills to juggle preparations for multiple Alliance events simultaneously. This person will regularly liaise with high-level policy professionals, government officials, and their staff, so excellent judgment, poise, and strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
Specifically, the senior policy analyst should have demonstrated skills or expertise in the following areas:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and a minimum of five years of health-policy experience required. Candidates with relevant master’s degrees, post-baccalaureate certificates, or clinical/health professional experience welcome, but not required.
- Professionalism and commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work.
- Ability to be creative and nimble in the face of competing demands and a fast-paced environment.
- Experience on Capitol Hill, at a federal, state, or regulatory entity or experience at a government relations organization, public interest, or trade association is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Proven ability to effectively advance multiple projects simultaneously, including setting and meeting deadlines as well as maintaining a system for tracking, monitoring, and prioritizing numerous policy issues.
- Ability to efficiently work autonomously and part of a small team as well as with a range of external stakeholders.
- Program/project management, event management, curriculum/training development, and/or process design/improvement experience is a plus.
Research and Analysis
- Solid, broad comprehension of the U.S. health care system and health policy landscape.
- Working knowledge of the federal legislative and/or regulatory process.
- An understanding of how core Alliance audiences operate and learn, including Congress, the media, and other health policy stakeholders.
- Discernment and instinct for how political and stakeholder points of view apply to specific health policy issues
- Ability to conduct primary research and stakeholder interviews as well as secondary research and quickly synthesize information into key takeaways.
- Superior writing and presentation skills.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Salary $68,00 – 78,000, depending on experience and qualifications. The Alliance for Health Policy offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Platinum-level medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance with 80% employer-paid premium subsidy for employees and 50% for family members;
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave;
- $2 for $1 retirement contribution match, up to 10% of salary, with immediate vesting;
- Company provided life and long-term disability insurance;
- Generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave; and
- 100% remote work during pandemic.
About the Alliance
For over 25 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information.
The Alliance’s core offering is our in-person/virtual and impartial educational events and convenings. These events allow attendees to better understand a wide range of foundational and niche health policy issues, as well as the various viewpoints of the health policy community that surround those issues. For each briefing, we assemble a balanced panel of expert speakers who present background information, evidence, and insights on a given topic, facilitate a discussion that is relevant to the attendees’ day-to-day work, and provide curated lists of resources and experts for further research. We conduct approximately 45 events and convenings (currently all virtually) per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
Our mission: To inform solutions for improving health and health care in the United States by advancing health policy knowledge and facilitating solutions-focused dialogue among diverse stakeholders and leaders.
Our vision: To improve health and health care by fostering a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.