COVID-19 Webinar Series Overview
This COVID-19 Webinar Series synthesizes the information in the headlines to provide cohesive insight into the status of the response and remaining gaps in the system that must be addressed to limit the severity of the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States.
Session 15 – The Pharmaceutical Supply Chain
The COVID-19 pandemic sparked national concern about vulnerabilities in the drug supply chain. Many drugs procured in the United States are manufactured abroad. The pandemic disrupted the production of key pharmaceutical ingredients around the world, sparking fear about resulting shortages of key medicines. The system also struggled to keep pace with rising demand for drugs to treat patients with COVID-19. During this webinar, panelists explored the impact of the pandemic on different facets of the drug supply chain and discussed policy options to strengthen the system.
- Rena Conti, Ph.D., Associate Research Director of Biopharma and Public Policy, Institute for Health System Innovation and Policy, Boston University
- Thomas J. Cosgrove, J.D., M.A., Partner, Covington
- Erin Fox, Pharm.D., BCPS, FASHP, Senior Pharmacy Director, Drug Information and Support Services, University of Utah Health
- Nicolette Louissaint, Ph.D., Executive Director, Healthcare Ready
- Sarah J. Dash, MPH, President and CEO, Alliance for Health Policy (moderator)
The Alliance for Health Policy gratefully acknowledges the support of the National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation (NIHCM), The Commonwealth Fund, and Arnold Ventures for this event.