Part II of the Alliance for Health Policy’s 2020 Signature Series focused on the Voice of the Patient. During this Summit, we examined the patient’s voice across several levels of health care design, delivery, and measurement. Throughout this three-day event, we studied how the patient voice is collected, how it supports shared-decision making, and how it is leveraged in policy translation efforts to improve patient experience and build healthier futures.
Attendees heard from patient advocates, industry professionals, and top thought leaders on topics such as:
- Patient interaction best practices
- Helping patients navigate the health care system
- The impact of bias on patient trust in medicine
- Making data actionable for health care system redesign
Schedule of Events
Day 1: Best Practices for Collecting Patient Feedback
Tuesday, October 20 | 11:15 – 1:00 p.m. EST
- Keynote 1: The Importance of the Patient Voice in Health Care
- Panel 1: Connecting with Health Care Consumers to Drive Meaningful Change
Day 2: Navigating the Current System
Wednesday, October 21 | 11:15 – 1:00 p.m. EST
- Keynote 2: Virtual Clinical Trials – Care from Anywhere
- Panel 2: Empowering Patients to Navigate and Negotiate Health Care
Day 3: Co-Designing a Simpler System
Thursday, October 22 | 11:15 – 1:00 p.m. EST
- Keynote 3: “Are They Trustworthy?” – The Paradox of the Informed Patient
- Panel 3: Using the Patient Voice to Drive Systemic Change
- Stephanie Anderson, DNP, RN, Executive Director, Respecting Choices
- Donna Cryer, J.D., President & CEO, Global Liver Institute (keynote)
- Hala H. Durrah, MTA, Patient Family Engagement Consultant & Founder, Patient Advocates Transforming Healthcare (PATH)
- Derek M. Griffith, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Research on Men’s Health, Associate Professor of Medicine, Health and Society, Vanderbilt University (keynote)
- Jen Horonjeff, Ph.D., Founder and CEO, Savvy Cooperative
- Sarah Hudson Scholle, MPH, DrPH, Vice President, Research & Analysis, National Committee for Quality Assurance
- Mark Humowiecki, J.D., Senior Director and General Counsel, National Center for Center for Complex Health and Social Needs, Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers
- Andy Imparato, Executive Director, Disability Rights California
- David Lansky, Ph.D., Senior Advisor, Pacific Business Group on Health
- Maria Lemus, Executive Director, Visión y Compromiso
- Craig Lipset, MPH, Advisor and Founder, Clinical Innovation Partners (keynote)
- Eleanor Perfetto, Ph.D., MS, Interim Chief Executive Officer, National Health Council (moderator)
- Karen L. Marshall, J.D., Director of Advocacy and Engagement, National Alliance for Caregiving
- Robert Saunders, Ph.D., Research Director, Payment and Delivery Reform Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy (moderator)
- Kirsten Sloan, Managing Director, Public Policy, American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (moderator)
- Alayna Tillman, National Consumer Scholar Alumni & Amplify Participant
Thank you to our 2020 Voice of the Patient Summit sponsors!
Keynote 1: The Importance of the Patient Voice in Health Care This opening keynote provided an introduction to the “patient voice” and why it’s more important than ever to include patient priorities and needs in all levels of care design, delivery, and measurement. Our speaker tied in themes of advocacy,...
Keynote 2: Virtual Clinical Trials – Care from Anywhere This keynote examined the notion of meeting patient needs and expectations in novel settings using virtual clinical trials – ones that leverage digital health technologies such as online platforms, mobile apps, and remote monitoring devices to deliver trial elements to patients...
Keynote 3: “Are They Trustworthy?” – The Paradox of the Informed Patient This keynote explored the history of distrust in science and medicine and its impact on patients. Dr. Griffith provided an overview of the presence and role of systemic bias in health care and the origins of distrust in...